Tuesday, February 19, 2008

In My Heart

I just got back from a couple days in Midland, TX: home of Friday Night Lights, the Heroes' Cheerleader, the Bush family, Tommy Lee Jones and Spud Webb.   I hadn't seen my little boy (16 months old) in 6 days because he was spending some time with my parents before I left.  The older he gets (and the more personality he develops) the harder it is to leave home.   I got back last night right before he went to bed, and this morning we're both sitting down in the living room, I'm doing some light reading with my coffee and he's sitting in a chair across the room with about 15 books around him, reading like Daddy.    
One time I looked up and he was just staring at me with a slight, curious grin on his face as if to say, "Hey, you're my Daddy."  It melted my heart that he was watching me and I told him, "Hey buddy, you know Daddy loves you, right?  You know that I missed you SO much?  But did you know that you were right here the whole time?"  I pointed to my chest, "You're in my heart!"

Then I realized a little more clearly what it means when we say "Jesus is in my heart."  It means we take Him with us no matter where we go.  It means we love Him and think about Him a lot!   It also made me think that I never had to ASK Daniel to come into my heart, so that he could say, "okay Dad, since you asked..."   He's in my heart, simply because I love him, more than a blog could describe, and I 'take him with me' wherever I go. 

10 comments:

Karen said...

Aw! Thanks for the sweet thought today. Your blogs are always thought provoking and go right to the heart.

Laura E said...

Sweet story! Thanks for sharing! And since I'm a big fan of FNL and Heroes, are there actually scenes shot in Midland that you would recognize from the show? Just curious.

Random Possum said...

Your songs are very inspiring, and really helped me grow as a Christian.

Continue what youre doing best, and I can't wait to hear more.

I wonder when you will be your next NYC Concert?

God Bless!


(

Anonymous said...

Its a wonderful Blessing to a parent...Isn't great how the Lord places us in certian relationships to SHOW US HOW HE LOVES US? I am thankful for the constant reminders!I have a 2 year old and 6 year old boys...My favorite from them "your the best mom ever I love you so much!" anways I am rambling now, but Thanks for sharing Aaron!

Leah O said...

I have read all of your blogs and am encouraged by each one. Hopefully one day you can make your way to the NJ/NYC area so that we can see you in concert.

Heiress said...

Glory to God, Aaron. Glory to God. And glory to God that the kingdom is within us.

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Anonymous said...

Wow! this is so awesome.
Thank you for posting this. May God so bless you and your family. May God give you quality time together, and charished moments . May His grace abound. Gdo bless you and your family and the ministry in music that He has given you.

Aaron Shust said...

well, Laura E...if you ever read this again, I'll tell you that I didn't see anything that I specifically recognized from the shows, but all the "pump jacks" (that I called Oil Drakes) were pretty cool to see from the sky. Those things actually exist!

Laura E said...

Thanks for the heads up, Aaron. I've been through Texas, so I've seen those derricks too. Very cool, and quite mesmerizing! :)

Diana said...

Aaron - thanks for such a sweet thought! As a parent, we learn more about unconditional love - what it's like to receive such love and what it's like to feel such love for another person. I trust that God feels that way about me!