Sunday, June 29, 2008

It's like Thunder...and Lightning


KLTY: THE Christian Radio Station of Dallas Texans, puts on an annual Festival called Celebrate Freedom.  I've heard that up to 200,000 people have gone to the one day free festival.   Yesterday, not as many people turned out, maybe because it was 99 degrees, or the new location didn't have the same nostalgia as previous years at South Fork Ranch, but none the less, I was excited to be invited back for the 3rd time!   Truly.  I told John Hudson yesterday, it's like if you go to eat at someone's house that you really like, and they invite you back...or if you go on a date with someone you like, and at the end, they say, "we should do this again sometime", It feels great!  You should never feel entitled to receive a call-back.  How arrogant would that make you?  So needless to say, I've been pretty stinking flattered that they'd asked me back twice now.  I was going to play at 6:10.  Meredith Andrews went on just before that and my band played with her (Ashley Appling filled in for Josh) for her song "You're Not Alone"  And she killed it (that's a good thing)  Great song Meredith!  Then she introduced me, "Now, would you please welcome, Aaron Shust!"  Just then, someone from KLTY walked to the front and said, "Everybody, the storm is getting very close and it's bad and we need to head for cover immediately: to the corridors or to your cars right now!"  
People were bewildered.   They stared at her like, "are you serious"   
Just then a massive thunderclap crackled through the blackening sky, accompanied by an immediate bolt of lightning.  And every teenaged girl in the stadium screamed.  It was incredible.  
The people scattered, leaving remnants of folding chairs and umbrellas.  We waited and waited for the storm to pass until finally, they called it officially cancelled.   I never played one note.  
We grabbed some Mexican food, went to bed.  Got up at 4:30 again.   Now I'm home. 
Sleepy time. 

8 comments:

Mayra said...

Seriously! I was trying to figure out if that woman was joking and then I saw the bolt of lightning...lol

At least we saw you sound check

haha

Heather said...

Dang! That sucks!

Natasha G. said...

Last year I was working in the CareNow tent and couldn't hear you perform, so I was front & center and ready for you this year. Hopefully they invite you back for next years Celebrate Freedom.

Faith♥Hope♥Love77 said...

Hey Aaron,

This is Kristen, the girl from the Celebrate Freedom Autograph line - 3 years and counting. :) LOL

I just want to Thank You for being you. You are so kind, caring and down to earth. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about the past and for taking a picture with me. My friends and I were up front and ready to hold our"We ♥ Aaron" sign when they told us to seek shelter. Gosh the whole time I was thinking just let him play one song really fast. :)

I'm so thankful that I got to see you though and I hope like Natasha that you get invited back again. I posted my pics of you and I on my blog if you would like to see them.

Take Care & God Bless,
Kristen

P.S. "Was it just me or did the guy in front of me seemed dazed and confused? You asked him if the guy in front of him was his friend and he was like looking off into space or something." That was defiantly an awkward moment. :)

Also, I love your "Texas Lighting Fastpitch" pic for this blog because I play fastpitch for my college-UTD. :)

Jamie and James said...

Hi there! We've been working overseas in Turkey for the past four years and have ten months home to refresh before going back. After four years of worshipping with only 5-10 people in a living room in a foreign language I can not begin to express how amazing and refreshing it is to worship God in my own language in a church full of people!

Sunday we got this flyer about you playing at the fair in Susanville in a couple of weeks. Everyone around us seemed so amazed that you were coming to this small town, and when we said we'd never heard of you they looked at us like we were from outer space (hey, we've been on the other side of the globe for four years, and we really can't keep up with everything). Anyway, we'll be at that concert and now that we've gone to your site and heard a few of your songs we're really looking forward to it. Thanks for being willing to come to a small out of the way place like Susanville. It's gonna be so great for us to not just get to worship in church, but in a wide open stadium filled with other believers (something that we'd never get to do in Turkey)! Thanks for letting us have the opportunity.

Happy travels!

Jake T. said...

I guess even the thunderstorms are bigger in Texas. Stay try my brother!

Mayra said...

Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

Hope By next Year's Celebrate Freedom Festival-That The Promoters Can Direct the CROWD to a Stand-by Location that Has Shelter in Case of ThunderStorms-They Should Consider This To Keep The Festival,On Track & Avoid WASTING People's Valuable Time-As An Idea->>> A Huge Local-In Door Shopping MALL! Did You Know The Ranch They Used Before as a VENUE, was Where they Filmed The FAMOUS TV-SITCOM,"DALLAS"?


























I Have Seen Shopping Malls Used For CONCERTS-They Work Well-And The Air Conditioning Is An Added Blessing, :: DELLA ::