Compassion International

IJM

Ray of Hope

OneVerse

Aaron Shust Partners with OneVerse.org

Monday, July 7, 2008

Work (I'm not in Kansas anymore)


Forgive me if my blogging has turned from a devotional into a log.  I've found that people are also interested in what we musicians do from day to day, but I also miss sharing with you some truths that I stumble across in life.  I'll try to incorporate both. 

Just got back from Kansas again.  I know, that never happens, the same place twice in 2 weeks.  I got up at 3:30 on Sunday to fly out and got up at 3:00 this morning to fly home.   It was 98 degrees while we set up and sound checked, and I know all things are relative, and what we do will never end up on that Dirty Jobs program with Mike Rowe or whomever, but every once in while I have to compliment my guys on a day of hard work.  At the end of the show last night as we drove back to the hotel, we were spent.  Exhausted from little to no sleep the night before, then all day on a plane and in a van, eating fast food, setting up in 100 degree weather with no water, merch not showing up, performing with a monitor mix that wasn't the same as it was during soundcheck, finding out your hotel room hasn't been serviced when you were about to take an hour long power nap...  

Like I said, I know many of you serve in the military or maybe you have a job you wish you didn't, and for some reason, the music business is seen through rose-colored glasses (people thinking it's the best job ever) so I'm not comparing to other jobs at all...only some days it's a blast, and while we love what we do: some days it's work.   Every one of the guys on my team have cushier days on the road with other artists than they often do with me.  And I'm just grateful that they like to stick around.   And WORK with me. 

11 comments:

Mayra said...

I'm grateful that you continue to be a touring musician because your music is such a blessing to so many people!! It's awesome that your band continues to stick together despite it not always being the most glamorous job. THANK ALL OF YOU FOR ALL YOU DO!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I second Mayra's thoughts - thank you for sticking it out through storms, heat, snow = everything! The message you give us in your songs and through your life are definitely worth it! Thank you for listening to your call - you and all your crew!

Diana

Anonymous said...

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
1 Cor 15:58

Laura E said...

Ugh. That does sound awfully exhausting. Give your crew a high five for me.

On the other hand, I love watching Dirty Jobs. It's disgusting, gross, horrifying, and very, very humbling.

Living the Biblios said...

Dear Aaron-

We saw you in the 98 degree heat of Junction City and the show was awesome. Afterwards, we met you briefly and you autographed my 7 year old daughter's arm. Valerie says, "I will never wash my arm again." Thanks for your "work." We were the glad recipients!

Melody Joy Francis said...

Hey Aaron!
I heard you are going to be at River Valley Ranch in Maryland tomorrow night. My younger sister Elizabeth, aka, Biz, is on the permanent staff there. I was gonna try to drive down and catch the show, but I made a mistake, I thought it was NEXT weekend, not THIS weekend, and I have worship band practice at my church tomorrow night. So anywho, I just wanted to say have a great show, I am sure you will fall in love with the Ranch. I wish I could be there, but I am glad my sister will get to see you perform live and in person! God bless!

sweetly broken said...

Aaron Shust...haven't seen you since 1998..or..9...(Scott E.'s wedding in Greensburg) How in the world are you? The Keith Bunting fam. is living in Lancaster, PA for now (Keith, Kristin, and three little girls) Knew you were up this way back in April. Blessings on you! So thankful for God's kindness in your life.
Much Affection, the Buntings

sweetly broken said...

Oops...I meant Scott U's wedding! I think you know who I mean! Ok...prayers for you today..looks like you're playing in Maryland. God bless you and your sweet little family.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Shawn said...

Hi Aaron, this is a very interesting and insightful post about the music biz! I noticed you mentioned Dirty Jobs... you must have watched it before, I imagine?

I want to give you a heads up on the Dirty Jobs special that's going to air as part of Shark Week '08. Mike Rowe will be following the quest for the Greenland Shark. It airs on Tuesday, July 29th, at 9PM. Mythbusters, however, kicks off Shark Week on Sunday, the 27th, at 9PM.

If you'd like more info, feel free to contact me back and/or check out the site:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/sharkweek.html

By the way, I hope you don't mind me contacting you like this... I figure you're a fan of the show. Have a great day.

Shawn Grover
shawngrover2008@gmail.com

Shea Gilbert said...

No water????????
:)
Hey guys!!!!! Hope you're doing well.....