Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"GOD HAS COME TO EARTH" The Back Story

The following is taken from Tyndale's "One Year Book of Hymns" where I discovered the old Christmas Carol "All Praise To Thee, Eternal Lord" whose lyrics I used for the verses (minus the old English vernacular) and where i also found "I Am Not Skilled To Understand"

"When God clothed Himself in human flesh that first Christmas, He revealed Himself to us in a new way, bridging the infinite chasm between creature and Creator.  Over the centuries following Christ's ascension, however, the church created a new chasm between God and man.  It shrouded God in mystery, relegating Bible study to the monastery, theology to the memorization of Latin phrases, and hymn singing to the choir loft.  Martin Luther sought to change this, translating the Bible, the catechism, and hymns into German-the language of his people.  This allowed everyone to hear God's Word directly and to express praise in their own tongue. 

This Christmas hymn appeared originally in Latin and has been attributed to Gregory the Great of the sixth century.  Despite Luther's disagreements with the Roman church, he realized that its hymns and traditions contained much of value.  Luther's translation of this Latin hymn illustrates his mission to make seeking and worshiping God an activity of the common person."

4 comments:

Mayra said...

I love this song.

Della said...

Why Should I Use Another Account ? I signed up as Cave - Lady , Della----


: O )

Aaron Shust said...

Della.

it's working. i simply didn't approve comments this weekend. Thanks for signing up.

Mayra,

Sorry for the difficulty at first. I clicked on Members Only, and I guess that meant Me and Duffy only. i fixed it.....obviously :)

Merry Christmas
a

Leyanet said...

well aaron
I love the song Watch over me!
Before i start to believe in jesus.. I always goes in depression and asking myself why i am different from other people and Why me? why i have to be deaf?
that was lonnng time ago but hearing this song Watch over me always remind me that jesus did this for a reason and why he did it. im special in his eyes and i know that now!


Your freind Leyanet!