Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lessons from the BBQ

Incredibly gorgeous day here in Atlanta, GA.  I don't know what the temp is, but feels like the high may have been around 80 degrees.  Mostly sunny, so every once in a while you get the big cloud exposing a cooler breeze.  Sarah asked if I wanted to perform the first barbeque of the year.  I enthusiastically obliged and figured I'd teach Daniel how to prepare a charcoal grill.  Something every 2 year old should know. 

After stacking the perfect pyramid of Kingston briquettes and igniting them with an over abundance of Kingston lighter fluid (no, I'm not sponsored by Kingston) we lit the powpow (2-year old for "fire") and let the charcoals burn!  The pyramid, for those of you who don't know, creates a shape where the charcoal briquettes become their own little oven, trapping a lot of the heat inside.  By the time the flame extinguishes, the briquettes continue to heat each other and after about 15 minutes, even without a flame, all of the briquettes are white hot!  My Dad taught me all this. 

About 5 minutes after the flame died, I placed the top rack in its place, I guess just to see if it still fit...it did...and when I removed it, I knocked over my pyramid, scattering the charcoal in all directions...I ran inside to grab some tongs so I could re-stack them.  If they stayed spread out, they'd cool and never get white hot.  I'd have to re-ignite them then.   I'm explaining all this to Daniel while he watched from a safe distance of 2 feet.  "If the charcoals don't stay close together, they won't stay hot anymore, they need to stay close together and then they'll stay warm."

Sometimes it takes listening to yourself making things very simple for a child to grasp to understand why Jesus explained theology through simple stories.  In reassembling the pyramid, I was struck by the need for community.  By the danger of being alone.  Iron sharpening Iron.  It is not good that man be alone.  There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.   I am an introvert: I recharge when I'm alone...or even when I'm just with my family, but I can't ignore the fact that I greatly benefit from spending time with brothers and sisters in Christ who can not only encourage me, walk beside me and lead me, but maybe there's someone out there who needs me to help keep their fire burning.   By keeping myself on the outskirts, I'm not only helping their fire die out...but I myself will soon become too cold to be of any use.  

...time to flip the chicken.   

13 comments:

BrikHed said...

Jesus did make it simple and yet we all mess up at one time or another. I laugh out how simple he tried to make it for he disciples and then I know in my heart he would have had to make it so much simpler.

I prefer charcoal but I taught my girls gas grill 101 - push put and it lights :-D

suchimpulse said...

I think it's important to remember "iron sharpens iron" and to really be a brother or sister in Christ - to help, to listen, to teach, to share with each other. But the ultimate teacher is Jesus, who better to learn from?

Diana

Aaron Shust said...

had another thought.
Hebrews 10:25
"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another..."

suchimpulse said...

Amen, brother, Amen!

Mayra said...

Hmm, this post made me think of: Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

I agree that community is very important. Personally, it's a great encouragement and it helps me be accountable.

Yummy, yall BBQ'd chicken. I made a bad choice and had a burger, but it was my first one in like 2 months!! lol

Tunafish said...

Yeah, I'm an introvert too but still I feel that being with others in fellowship really encourages me and refuels my burn of passion :) Great post!

Tracy said...

My husband is what I call a "socialized introvert." He too recharges when alone but can very easily be the life of the party when he wants to. I am the exact opposite, and hate being alone. I want to be with Christian friends constantly...I love the scriptures in Acts 2:42-47 that talk about the believers and how they met daily and even sold their possessions to help those that were in need. It says that the Lord added to their number daily...I think that is because people could see how much love they had for each other. Wouldn't it be awesome if all of the believers could imitate that kind of love for each other?

♥_HaNdPrInT_On_ThE_WiNdOw_♥ said...

Hi :)

suchimpulse said...

Aaron - I really want to send you the poem I wrote about your airport story of the gate to Pittsburgh and Nashville. How can I get it to you?

Diana

Aaron Shust said...

(anytime someone wants to mail me anything, I have them send it to management...cami@moosemgt.com can give you an address thx!)
a

Anita's Journal said...

Aaron!
I can't believe I missed seeing you!

You were in my area in Missouri...With Mr. Travis Lee, who I know!!!! But apparently not well enough to know he opened for you! Goodness I'm bummed!

Travis is from our little hometown. He is/was my daughter's beau's TeenCBS teacher.

Melody Joy Francis said...

Hey Aaron,
I REALLY want to try to make it out to one of your concerts this summer, but the closest you are coming is like 4 hours away, so I am praying that will work out! Haven't had a chance to listen to the new stuff yet, but am planning to get some good listening in this week! Hope you are well. Blessings to you and yours! :0) MJ

Wes and Kelbe said...

I love your analogy. I also have a 2 year old boy, Jacob.

I heard your song "Give me the words to speak" last Sunday after a friend asked me to speak for our summer Women's Ministry. God spoke to me through your lyrics and I know that he will speak through me on Tuesday. I have since listened to several of your songs and it's not just the lyrics but the way you sing them. I have since added a few of you songs to my blog so I'll be able to listen and also share with others how Great God is. Thank you for using the talent that He gave you to share His glory.