Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Twice in As Many Days....

...I felt the fragility of life.  (fra-JIL-ih-tee) no?  

A few days back, my twitter followers know this, I about burned my house down.  I had barbecued chicken, eaten the meal outside with my family and then put everything away.  I came inside to read a book that I needed to finish while Sarah put the kids to bed and I heard rain outside.  I glanced out the window, and...no rain.  I thought, "There must be a goose rummaging around in the bushes!" (they eat Sarah's plants)  So I ran out to shoe it away...but instead, I looked to my left and two bushes were completely engulfed in flames.  I was hearing the crackling of a roaring fire.  Not awesome.  I have rarely, if ever, been more frightened and pessimistic about the salvation of my house.  I ran back inside and yelled, "Sarah! FIRE!" Called 911, hit the Fire button on the security system and started to fill the trash can up with water when Sarah ran past me and said, "Hose!"  (One word sentences are the best you can do when panicked)  I remembered that the garden hose is right next to the burning bushes...ha, never put that together...and after 5 frustrating seconds of a gentle "shower" wash, I turned the hose to "Jet" and doused that sucker and saved my family.  I'm the hero but also the dunce that started the fire and never thought of using the hose.  The Fire Department came in two trucks and 5 Firemen walked through my house, much to Daniel's delight.  It was all a bit embarrassing.   Thank God He let me hear the sound of the crackling, if I had been in another room, or had music playing...

The very next day, we're over at some friends with their two boys and three other boys that were over (7 little boys under the age of 7) We're casually talking at the table when we notice a lady outside sprinting to the front door.  Dan Hannon (my friend and producer of 1st two albums) answers the door and she says, "Does anybody have a little boy named Daniel?"  Sarah joins the sprint having no clue why she asked that question.  It turns out that Daniel and Eli (5 years old) went out to play on the trampoline.  Eli was done and wanted to go inside, Daniel didn't want to, so Eli (as any 5 year old would) said "okay, see ya."  Daniel, completely independent as he is for a 2 year old, began walking around the neighborhood, talked to a lady 3 doors down, told her his name and said that he was playing in the yard.  He had no clue where he was...he got turned around.  

Can you imagine if we randomly discovered that we didn't know where Daniel was?  We got the good news first: he was found.  

God, thank you for letting me keep my family around one more day. 

10 comments:

Mayra said...

Wow, praise the good Lord you're house didn't burn down and Daniel made it back home! he's getting so biiiig!

Legs and Wings said...

Wos man. Crazy times but God had you covered. Covering you with prayer too...in Nova Scotia, Canada.

Rock on. To God Alone.

Tunafish said...

Wow. Thank GOD! He's always so gracious and merciful to us and is always there to help us even if we aren't being particularly appreciative of Him. He's just so awesome! Jesus loves you! :)

Julia said...

WOW, that's some story about Daniel in Dan's neighborhood! God is watching over you buddy!!! Will ya'll be at CC this sunday?

cleanaturalady said...

It is hard to imagine a life without God isn't it? The things he saves us from...ourselves mainly, is just incredible.

God Bless,
Kim

Tracy said...

You have had an eventful week! Glad Daniel was found before you realized he was missing...and glad that you were able to put out the fire before it got out of control! That happened to us last Thanksgiving...we were at a relatives house(one we only go to once a year)...and Fischer decided to go play at the neighbor's house...I guess there was an older couple that lived there and they just let him in and he played?!?!?!
Scary.

Fischer found an "Aaron Shust" hat at Old Navy and the child hasn't taken it off since we got it. He proudly tells everyone he meets that he is sporting an "Aaron Shust" hat(it looks like the one you were wearing in Omaha)!

baylormum said...

Love the newest "leak"! It may be my favorite to date. It's hard, though, they are all great. I love that you did them acoustically for us. Can hardly wait til Aug 4th. :)

Jennifer said...

Glad you're OK. Whew.

This is why I can never leave the room when I cook or turn on the sink. I once flooded the washroom after leaving a faucet unattended, and another time, nearly caught the kitchen ceiling on fire.

I apparently haven't been able to master the art of multitasking.

suchimpulse said...

Thank God you have another day, and many more. It seems like God has a message for you in there somewhere, Aaron.

S and S said...

My husband is a volunteer fire fighter. I'm positive the fireman were glad they got called to a fire they didn't have to put out! Imagine if you didn't hear the "rain" or thought it might be geese...God works in mysterious ways, huh?