Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Early In The Morning

Good Morning! Well it's early for me. I woke up and turned my alarm off and came downstairs before the house got active. I fixed some Cafe Du Monde coffee in my french press, sat in my man chair, and read a little bit with Yo-Yo Ma in the background and the rain falling outside. Nice.

This tour has been a bit physically draining, what with the travel taking place after the show's ending in vans, grabbing a hotel around sunrise oftentimes and catching a few hours sleep before checkout. My aging body doesn't like that. I turn the big 3-4 this month, which I never thought would be a benchmark, but for the first time I won't be able to ask myself, "What was Jesus doing at my age?"

Anyhow, speaking of Early and Jesus, I read a bit in Mark 1 today. I had planned to read more, but recalled something that Charles Shepson referred to as "Walking through the Bible" I believe. Instead of reading the Bible all the way through once per year, he'd read until something tugged at his heart, stop, meditate on that, and that was his reading for the day. Sometimes 3 chapters, sometimes one verse. Sometimes it took him 2-3 years to read through.

Mark 1:32ff (MSG) "THAT EVENING, AFTER THE SUN WENT DOWN, they brought sick and evil-afflicted people to him, THE WHOLE CITY LINED UP at his door! He cured their sick bodies and tormented spirits. Because the demons knew his true identity, he didn't let them say a word. WHILE IT WAS STILL NIGHT, WAY BEFORE DAWN, HE GOT UP and went out to a secluded spot and prayed." (emphasis mine)

I never realized the timeline that preceded the story of Jesus' early morning. He was up late. I've never healed anyone, but if I had a show one night where a whole city lined up to meet me afterward, I might plan on sleeping in the next day.

Not Jesus. He placed a high value on waking up WAY early to talk to his heavenly Father.

10 comments:

Dan said...

Interesting point made. I know that it's enough work just getting ready for work in the morning, but I imagine if I woke up let's say 30min earlier to start the day off with the Word, it would go better... maybe I should try doing that.

Happy early B-day to both of us, I'm going to be the big 27 :)

BrikHed said...

Amazing how humbled we all can become when we stand back and realize all of the little things Jesus did during his time on Earth. Obviously, the dying for our salvation is overwhelming but these subtle reminders have a tendency to hit close to home.

Hope you son is feeling better.

Jon P said...

Great Post Aaron. You may have never physically healed anyone like Jesus has but I can vouch that you have healed people emotionally and spiritually. I have the 5 year old to prove it! When he belts out "My Savior" I get goosebumps and thank God for people like you that keep us moving forward each day! Can't wait to see you Saturday night!

Pam said...

Aaron,

It is amazing what wonderful things our saviour did isn't it.
I really enjoyed this blog today.
You have most definately inspired me today.

Thanks!

PS: My son is learning your song "To God Alone" to sing at church. I can't wait for him to sing it.

Tunafish said...

Great post! I think that I'll start to try that. We use the phrase 'be like Jesus' way too much. We don't even realize exactly what it means. Imitate Jesus. Be like Him. So much easier said than done. I guess that's something I really need to work on. Jesus loves you! =)

Nothing.. said...

Wow!!..brother excellent.
You made me think about me now..Now i am wondering what my savior would be doing when he was 19..:):)

Thnks a lot..you made my day..:)

Anni said...

Thanks for posting this... the vs from Mark has been a great blessing to me!

Belinda said...

Today, I'm up EARLY only to wish Aaron a very HAPPY and Blessed BIRTH-DAY , soon arriving on OCTOBER 31 !!! I just got my own BIRTHDAY WISHES Fulfilled ! And one was to meet Michael W. Smith in PERSON ! But , Aaron Shust is just as SWEET and Charming ! So shout out a Birthday Greeting to him , all you Blog-Commenters ! Just think of the WONDER of this ! Jesus stayed close to His Father , Day or Night by Praying , No matter how Tired he felt... or what Dire Circumstances He was Facing ! If only we were that steadfast and diligent ! I want to have that closeness with my Jesus and my Heavenly Father GOD . It's worth losing sleep over, and nothing can compare with the communion you can have with the 3 PERSONS in the Trinity, Our Father, Lord Jesus , and the Holy Spirit . Thanks, GOD !

You made this Possible for us . We're indebted to You !

Dan Gross said...

Okay, this is weird. Two Dan's posting comments to this blog and both have birthdays in October! I have both you guys beat since I turned 40 on the 14th (the day this blog entry was created!

Anyway, the reason for the comment is to wish Aaron a very happy birthday today. All your "one-time band-mates" got together and made this for you. It's not much, just a small token of our appreciation for what you did for all of us! (Hopefully blogger lets the link through).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uISBD0Jqcgg

Hope you have a blessed day!

Melody Joy King said...

Just wanted to let you know that "Rest In The Arms" is on repeat in my car, and has blessed and encouraged me SO much over the past month! Thank you! :0) Blessings to you and yours!