Friday, March 4, 2011

The King's Speech

I was never on the debate team in High School. I see myself as easily swayed by people's arguments and must pray for wisdom and discernment to see the truth. I first prayed "give me words to speak, because I can't think of anything worth saying" because I truly had no eloquent words or stories or clever turn of phrase in mind to make people think, "Wow, that's true!"

So, I am incredibly comforted when I read I Corinthians 1:17. Paul says that Christ sent him "to preach the gospel, not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power." This coming from the guy who wowed the Athenian philosophers, arguing that their "unknown god" was the very Lord of Heaven and Earth! (Acts 17:16-34). Christ did not send Paul to speak about the Good News with wisdom or eloquence, because the power of the cross could be emptied! The next verse says, "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God."

Do not fear an inability to speak persuasively or eloquently. Do not fear an inability to be a clever wordsmith. But as Paul pleads, "Pray also with me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the Gospel. (Eph 6:19)

Finally, consider these quotes from this generation's most well known communicator of God's love:

"I am not a great preacher, and I don't claim to be a great preacher. I've heard great preaching many times and wished I was one of those great preachers. I'm an ordinary preacher, just communicating the Gospel in the best way I know how."

"I have found that when I present the simple message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, with authority, quoting from the very Word of God - He takes that message and drives in supernaturally into the human heart."

"People do not come to hear what I have to say - they want to know what God has to say."
-Billy Graham

Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee

4 comments:

Fields of gold said...

Thanks for this tender, yet powerful reminder from the Word of God. As I sat down to type a blog post, I read this first.

A stellar re-aligning of the purpose of my words.

Thanks!
Samantha

Melody Joy King said...

Super excited to come out and see you, Selah, and Shaun Groves tomorrow night in Trucksville, PA. :0) Can't wait to worship with you guys! Safe travels and many blessings to you and yours! ~Melody Joy

Lee said...

Thank you for this post, Aaron... I have been asked to speak at a women's retreat at the end of April. As of yet, I am still not sure what I am supposed to speak about. This is my first time EVER speaking at a retreat, and "Give me words to speak" has been running through my mind for weeks. It is my prayer, too...

Batang Manunulat said...

Upon reading the title, I thought it was from the movie but i was wrong. hehe. God Bless you Bro.