Saturday, December 15, 2012

Recording with the Band

Nate, Coker, Duffy and me. 

Never in the recording of my 5 studio albums (5!) have I had such an enjoyable, spiritual experience than I had recording this new album.  


I've had people, friends, ask me beforehand "What makes this album different from other albums?"  I struggled in that moment and all I could come up with was what was so obvious to me, "I'll be recording this one with my band."  Which seems like such a minor variable.  But it was everything.  

I have spent the last decade of my music making life with Duffy playing bass with me.  He has done nothing but progress in his mastery of that instrument.  Sure, he can mimic something that has already been played, but he brings a style and technique to the table that no one else will.  

Nate Bedingfield has played electric guitar with me since the fall of 2009 and is the Music Director for the Attic: the High School Ministry at North Point Buckhead in Atlanta.  He's playing at church week after week and his sound just gets huger and huger.  It's a word. 

Brandon Coker came on board two years ago, bringing not only much need hilarity to the troop but a passion for unadulterated worship.  This guy is a beast on the drums (if you don't already know this, wait till you hear this record) and loves Jesus with all his heart.  He also just got married to Amanda who happens to be an outstanding photographer.  

Ed Cash you know because of his work on Chris Tomlin's albums, producing a sound that we all know and love.  His love of music that elevates the praises of God is incomparable and is evidenced in the instincts he has for where a song can and should go.  Plus he's a dear friend and so easy to get to know.  

On top of their credentials and skills, these are some of my dearest friends in this life.  I'd trust them with my children, and that's saying a lot.  I love them all dearly.

Put those components together in a room for a week with a bunch of great equipment and strong songs and brace yourself for a WEEK OF WORSHIPING!!!  I wasn't even needed to sing more than one take per song, just to provide a scratch track so they could follow along in the subsequent takes.  But I loved singing these songs so much that I recorded 8-10 vocal passes for each song if not more.  I never wanted to stop singing!  Frankly I'm going through withdrawal now.  

I cannot wait to start incorporating these songs live. 

Thank you for your prayers during this time, for us in the studio, and for my family back at home.  

a

No comments: