Thursday, January 3, 2013

Drain the Bathwater

It's a sunny day in Pittsburgh which means that even though it's 27ºF (it was 6ºF this morning!) with a snow covered landscape, I can sit in our unheated sunroom where it's actually warmer than in the rest of the well-heated house.  On a cloudy day, it would be 27ºF in this room.  It's rocking about 80º right now. Love it. #myofficeisasauna 


The New Year brings an insatiable thirst for me to be inspired.  I watch a lot of concert footage of my favorite artists, behind the scenes stuff too, but more than anything it's the 4 days of Passion that feeds me.  To be led in worship by friends, acquaintances and strangers; and taught Truth by the same is food for my soul. 


There is this fascinating Twitter feed on the sidebar of the Live Link page which I often have to ignore because, like subtitles, I find myself forced to read them because they're there.  I was initially shocked and angry when I read the first comment from someone who was not in agreement with what was going on at Passion.  Calling it names, demeaning its purpose and demeaning the people (the people?!) who are involved.  Incriminating the organization because of certain people or organizations with which it associates.  I was saddened as I read those words and dealt with the emotions in my gut, especially because while I was reading those words, I'm hearing in my headphones the name of Jesus being appropriately glorified in a theologically accurate manner by the people accused of being anti-Christ!  I was incredulous.   

Granted, my opinion and my bias as to what is "appropriate" or "theologically accurate" must be considered and I am irrevocably on record that I know "I am not skilled to understand" all things about God.  

The truth is: none of us are.  

Since it's so easy for me to identify the specks that are in my brothers' and sisters' eyes as they bash people who love Jesus and preach and sing His praise, I want to make sure that the next time I'm prone to throw rocks at (or simply dismiss) a person or group of people because they don't believe, preach or live the way I think they should...that I look for the Truth.  Jesus is the Truth.  I will make decisions that you do not agree with, and I very well may be wrong in what I do.  But when I speak the Truth about God, you can still say "Amen" with me!  

And please, drain the bathwater. 

3 comments:

DD said...

Amen, Aaron bro. Love you and your family. Love the music that I never expected would touch my soul coming from a curly-haired scruffy-faced guy who was the opening act at an Evening of Compassion concert with Bebo Norman and Geoff Moore in Chilicothe, Missouri seven years ago. Wow. Life changes. And God changes me with it. I am thankful I have had a living soundtrack that has followed me every step of the way. That goes for all my fave Christian music makers. Much Blessings!!!!!!!!!!! -- Debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm so appreciative of what you write here and how you regularly share your heart. You're such an encouragement. I was able to see you at your "1st" Women's Conference and have been blessed by your music and testimony ever since. May God bless you and your family!

coachmags said...

Its been long time since you posted this, and I am just now reading it. But in God's great timing, I really needed it. I am a minister's wife and tend to find myself as a griper. I feel limited in what I am allowed to feel and say. But nothing is ever truer than, saying we don't know the hearts and minds of others. I am blessed to even be able to worship my God freely where in my home, church or work. Thanks for the reminder