Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Rest

Life got so busy.  Even in the moments where I don't have to be doing something, like now, I feel the tension and the pull to do what I should.  Like blog, or read, or have a devoted time of prayer.  I want to do all those things, but with one eye on the clock (almost 10pm) knowing that I probably could use the sleep, there is little peace in feeling like those good healthy things are a part of a checklist.  "Hurry up and read and pray then blog about that and go to sleep" That's just stressful and not the point. 

It makes me think of one of Jason Gray's Christmas songs called Rest (The Song of the Innkeeper).  One of my favorites, if that's possible, on that album.  The Innkeeper tells of his encounter with a poor couple in need of lodging, he doesn't have time to help them but at least they won't be wandering about if they stay in his stable, he needs to get back to work and wishes for rest.  He goes on to tell of the songs he heard as a boy about a coming King, but keeping books and changing beds became a louder melody, a deafening melody and again he cries out for rest.  My favorite line and the one that makes me fight back the tears because I realize this could be me is this:


Tonight I can’t get any sleep
With those shepherds shouting in the streets
A star is shining much too bright
Somewhere I hear a baby cry
And all I want is a little peace

He missed it.  He completely missed it.  He's the Innkeeper for crying out loud.  He has a character in the Fisher Price Little People Nativity Set.  But he completely missed it in the busyness.  In the busyness of providing lodging (poor lodging) for the Savior, he missed God's coming to his very own home.  

God, in my singing to You, in my telling others of Your love, in my leading Your children in worshiping You, in my studying of Your Word, in my journaling and praying and interceding and my tweeting and sharing and advocating...may I not miss You.  

In Matthew 11:28 Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest."

4 comments:

Becky said...

One of my favorite scripture verses...

ashle glass said...




Tom Tidwell: On free shipping stores the list of most beneficial facts that we will do to offer thoroughly clean water can be to have wholesome forests...[and] one of many details we are concentrating bridal wedding dress on is how we can do an improved project to take a look at many of the capacities which are available on the Federal organizations and then also operating then while using the states, the counties, as well as metropolitan areas and also to get it done in men suits sale
the coordinated fashion.

Anonymous said...

Last night I attended the concert in Hales Corners. I didn't want to go, my wife dragged me. My wife and I have been foster parents for the past 6 years and I am feeling burned out! We have had 10 kids and all of them special needs. Our last placement was a sibling group of 3 kids, whose story if I told would disgust you. We have been judged, uninvited to family functions, dismissed by lawyers and social workers. I was feeling beaten by the system. Then last night at the concert I felt this energy surge,from the souls of my feet to the center of my heart. I totally get my calling and have a renewed sense of energy to carry on with the mission god has bestowed upon me. Aaron please keep sharing your gift with others, it touches so many people in ways you may never have imagined!

Michael Twin said...

HP Colour LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw Driver
Brother MFC-9320CW Driver Download
HP LaserJet Enterprise 500 MFP M525f Driver Download
Brother MFC-8950DW Driver Download
Brother MFC-8910DW Driver Download
HP TopShot LaserJet Pro M275 Driver Download
HP Officejet 5740 Driver Download
HP Envy 7640 Driver Download
HP Envy 5640 Driver Download
HP Envy 5660 Driver Download
Canon Pixma PRO-10 Driver Download
Download Canon MP280 Driver
Canon i-Sensys LBP6230dw Driver Download
Brother MFC-8710DW Driver Download
Dell C3760dn Color Laser Printer Driver Download
Dell Color Printer C2660dn Driver Download
Canon imageClass MF212w Driver Download
Canon imageClass MF227dw Driver Download
Canon imageClass MF229dw Driver Download
Canon imageCLASS MF8210Cn Driver Download