Friday, January 11, 2013

Reveal the Father

Today is the end of my one-week Social Media fast.  I abstained from Twitter, Facebook, Instragram and this blog because every once in a while it's good for me to step away from some things that I do, to remind myself why I do them.  My last tweet was "I need Jesus more than Social Media. (and more than anything) But [I'm] taking a break from Social Media this week..." So this decision was not so much my replacing the time that I would have spent on Social Media with time at the feet of Jesus, because I don't have a set hour, for example, that I tweet.  Those times are too sporadic.  I needed to reevaluate my approach.  But oh the time that was freed up! :)  

I realized that the moments I wanted to tweet the most were not when I felt a silly obligation to let people know what I happened to be looking at but when a Spiritual truth would floor me, inspire me and change me and I wanted to share it.  I don't think that everything I say will be full of Spiritual revelations, I'm sure I'll still post pictures of my kids, sunsets and clouds from airplanes, but I know what is important to me.  

I also learned that I need to stop wondering how many Likes or Retweets I'd get!  If I feel prompted to share a thought or a picture, that should be enough.  I like that. 

So yesterday morning I was reading in Luke 10 where Jesus says, "No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.”  My spirit felt like a grade school kid raising his hand saying "Oo! Oo! Pick me! Pick me!" I want to know the Father, like really know the Father.  So I simply asked Jesus to reveal the Father to me, and I feel like that's a pretty bankable prayer to pray.  Not a safe prayer necessarily, but bankable.  

I want that more than I want safety: that's so easy to pray for, isn't it?  "God give us a good day, a good night's sleep, keep us safe..."  Honestly, I'm never going to pray for danger, I'm not going to pray for trial, I not going to stop praying for the health of my family.  But if those things that I wish for aren't part of what God wants us to experience, I pray that the Father would be revealed to us.  Because that is life altering.  And Life giving!

What would you be willing to set aside for a time, if you knew there were a possibility the Father would be more clearly revealed? 

4 comments:

Rob Blackburn said...

Wow, nice Aaron. I have taken to ending my prayers with, "If it's your will" or something along those lines. Your post got me thinking...if I do that it tends to mean I am asking for things...protection, grace, sometimes its trivial...however I much prefer asking that the Father be revealed. Thank you!

Tunafish said...

Thanks for sharing... really means allot =) the latest thing God's been.. revealing i guess to me is pretty much the last line of this post, but by reading this i'm looking at it a little differently than before. I've gotta give up this form of a relationship that's developed... and set aside that desire to love romantically and start my own family for a handful of years. Gotta rejoice in being single, heh. Just me and God and however much of the church He puts in my life. And in time i'll be ready to be revealed to through marriage and kids as well (and take on all those additional responsibilities and such). really inspiring post, thank you =) Lord Jesus, reveal the Father to me. I can't know all of who He is, but i pray You reveal to me as much of Him as i can know and that the amount of Him that i can know would always increase. Reveal His depth, His wrath, His joy, His peace... everything about Him continually and let those revelations change my life completely, in every aspect and every hidden branch of thought and habit. I love You a little, help my love for You grow steadily. And as i love You more, let my love for everyone else grow, familiar or strange. Your will be done, powerfully and wonderfully in my life. Take everything. I want You to have it all.

Kim V. said...

Your posts are not a waste of time, for sure. I love reading about the real life struggles and triumphs of other Christians. It inspires me to fight harder during my own trials, or to take a moment and pray for the lives of others who struggle. You sharing your life with the world is a ministry in it's own right, aside from the music, which often speaks to me as well, I find comfort and inspiration in your quick Tweets and your Blogs, and face it,your kids are so stinking cute, who doesn't want to see pictures of them?
Use your gift.
Blessings,
Kim

Phil said...

So good, Shust. So good.